Each Spring, The BC Sports Hall of Fame honours members of the BC Sport Community, and recently revealed its 2020 Induction Class – featuring five athletes, three builder-coaches, one team, one pioneer, one media member and the W.A.C. Bennett Award winner.
The BC Sports Hall of Fame celebrates extraordinary achievement in BC sport history and inspires future generations to make their dreams come true. Each year, over 35,000 visitors from around the globe visit the collection of 27,000 artifacts and 100,000 archival documents representing 150-years of sporting accomplishments in British Columbia.
The 2020 Induction Class includes:
- Sonja Gaudet – Wheelchair Curling
- Alex Stieda – Cycling
- Jeff Francis – Baseball
- Brent Johnson – Football
- Kirk McLean – Ice Hockey
- Harry White – Golf
- Bill Mitchell – Wrestling
- Valerie Johnson – Trampoline Gymnastics
- 1979-80 University of Victoria Viking’s Men’s Basketball
- Team Members: Ted Anderson, Bill Chapman (manager), Reni Dolcetti, Jim Duddridge (assistant coach), Kelly Dukeshire, Bruce Hamilton, Chris Hebb, Craig Higgins, Ian Hyde-Lay, Gerald Kazanowski, Gregg Kazanowski, Tom Narbeshuber, Eli Pasquale, Ken Shields (head coach), Billy Turney-Loos, Norm Vickery (assistant coach), Mickey Welder.
- Robin Bawa – Ice Hockey
- Cleve Dheensaw
W.A.C. Bennett Award
- Kathy Newman
“Our Class of 2020 is a terrific cross-section of the personalities and teams that make the history, heritage and culture of sport in British Columbia so notable and inspiring for the next generation of young people in BC,” said Tom Mayenknecht, Chair of the BC Sports Hall of Fame. “On behalf of our Board of Trustees and management team led by Chief Executive Nicholas Cartmell, along with our Selection Committee and Foundation Board, we’re looking forward to celebrating their achievements provincially, nationally and globally at the BC Sports Hall of Fame Induction Gala on June 4, 2020.”
The new class of honoured members will be officially inducted and celebrated at the BC Sports Hall of Fame Induction Gala, Thursday, June 4th, 2020 at the Vancouver Convention Centre. Tickets and information on the Induction Gala are available online at bcsportshall.com.