Holy cow! Summer is almost over! How did that happen?
What are you going to for your Long Weekend? Here’s some ideas
– visit Vanier Park for Bard On The Beach now presenting Taming Of The Shrew, Macbeth, Merry Wives of Windsor and King John.
– head outside every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night this summer visit one of the three night markets in Richmond and Vancouver. Summer Night Market runs until September 16th on Vulcan Way, Richmond Night Market has a new home near Bridgeport Station at River Rock Resort and Chinatown Night Market is at home in downtown Vancouver.
– spend your summer days at one of Vancouver’s great Farmer’s Markets; Main Street on Wednesdays, West End and Trout Lake Markets on Saturdays with Kitsilano Market on Sundays
– at Vancouver Art Gallery : Offsite on West Georgia at the Shangri-la Hotel courtyard, until Sept 16th, is a large scale wooden tableau by Kota Ezawa
– The Vancouver Art Gallery indoors welcomes it’s summer exhibit, Collecting Matise and Modern Masters: The Cone Sisters of Baltimore, highlighting one of the foremost private collections of early European Modernism. Meanwhile the Gallery’s exhibition Emily Carr and the Theatre of Transcendence continues all summer as does their ‘Next Series of New Artists from the Pacific Rim‘ – Fifth Night by Yang Fudong, a multi-channel video installation. Again, Again, Again is a exhibit of artists using repetitive or serial images taken from the Gallery’s permanent collections, Spiritlands: t/here: Marian Penner Bancroft Selected Photo Works 1975-2000, a photo exhibit by the Vancouver photographer. Through A Glass, Darkly offers diverse perspectives on perception with specific reference to memory and loss.
– see the bright lights at MOV: Museum of Vancouver with the last week of the exhibit Neon Vancouver/Ugly Vancouver & step back to examine the Art Deco Chic – glamour between the wars or just take a look back to summer 2011 to Reading The Riot Boards, a display of 15 of the post-Stanley Cup Final riot messages written on the boards covering broken windows downtown.
– The Alter Boyz, ‘raise the praise’ at the Arts Club Theatre’s Revue Stage wraps up this weekend on September 1st
– dinner and laughter, go together perfectly at The Giggle Dam Theatre with Cabin Fever at Lake Beaver now playing
Thursday Aug 30
– the last weekend of the PNE wraps up with some great entertainment, check out Shawn Desman in the afternoon, Chad Brownlee is onstage in the evening and much more entertainment throughout the day.
– at the Biltmore Cabaret, Alela Diane is onstage with Case Studies
– M. Ward is at the Commodore Ballroom
– L.E.D Bar #FFWDWKND has Ken Loi performing
– Thursday nights at Oasis On Davie means 90?s tunes and sexy shadow dancers for Escapade
– it’s Dirty Thursday at Junction Pub
Friday Aug 31
– shifting from Deer Lake Park to the Orpheum Theatre, Gotye takes the stage.
– at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre a very different show as Jane’s Addiction performs
– The Fair at the PNE’s Family Fun Series welcomes Les Noces Gitanes in the afternoon then Canadian Rockers Trooper take over for Summer Night Concerts
– Socielle Local Love at Ginger 62 is a special birthday night for host Ruby with tunes by Johnny Omega and Nestor Delano
– Celebrities’ Stereotypes Friday has DJ set by Sharam
– Oasis Ultra Lounge has Symone’s Dressing on The Side followed by DJ Adam Dreaddy’s Fag Friday
Saturday Sept 1
– PNE Family Fun in the afternoon is up n coming pop band R5 while the evening has retro rockers Prism wrapping up the Summer Nights Concert
– Night Beats is playing at Biltmore Cabaret
– B You Saturday at Celebrities presents Stephen Grondin
– Five-Sixty welcomes power vocalist Wynter Gordon to Glitter with DJ Adam Dreaddy
– Junction Pub welcomes Carlotta Gurl for her Absolut’ly Drag-u-lous Saturday night show
– Oasis is peachy keen with Peaches and DJs Kasha Kennedy & Kasey Riot
– late night head to Gorg-O-Mish for United:Labour Day with DJ Eddie Biaz from NYC with DJ Landon James opening up
Sunday Sept 2
– PNE wraps up the Family Fun Series with Princess Jubilation! A Musical Celebration for your little princess, the Summer Concert Series features Lifehouse
– singer/songwriter Missy Higgins performs at Commodore Ballroom
– Celebrities celebrates the long weekend with Netsky with Dynamite MC
– Joan@TheJunc has the everyone’s fave diva Joan-E performing at The Junction
Monday Sept 3 – Labour Day
– The PNE closes for another year with the iconic Olivia Newton-John for the final Summer Nights Concert
– Brit piano band Keane is onstage at The Centre for Performing Arts In Vancouver
Do you have an event or opening to include in the next What’s on Weekend? Comment or email me to be included On The List!