Following Orcas, Bears and Eagles In The City, the BC Lions Society For Children With Disabilities / Easter Seals unveils Terracotta Warriors In The City, in partnership with the Royal British Columbia Museum.
From April until October 2012 watch for Terracotta Warrior sculptures to pop up all over the lower mainland. As with the previous 3 edition of the “…in the city” program, the Terracotta Warriors are a collaboration of local artists who paired with a sponsoring individuals or organizations to create a unique design and apply it to the surface of the 7 foot fiberglass Terracotta Warrior. The Terracotta Warrior serves as the artist’s canvas and will be displayed in prominent public spaces around the participating cities in Southwest BC. A “Terracotta Warrior Map” will be created and distributed throughout participating communities showing the location, sponsor and artist.
The BC Lions Society outlines a number of goals for the program:
- To create an event that provides maximum exposure to sponsoring individuals or organizations, artists and the recipient charity
- To invite tourists from around the world to visit our province
- To produce an event that encourages the ‘Arts’, local businesses and individuals to come together in a spirit of community fundraising, benefiting the important work of the BC Lions Society’s Easter Seals Services for children with disabilities
- To generate artistic creativity and showcase BC artists
- To celebrate the cultural diversity of our province and promote civic pride
- To capture the imagination of children, adults and tourists alike.
Unveiling of these “Warriors for a Worthy Cause” will be happening over the next weeks, watch for them on a street near you soon.