Summer Live Festival has begun! A free family-fun weekend is ahead and there are lots of things to see and do! Here’s a run down of the events that caught my eye
1. Dal Richards Orchestra – July 10th : The incomparable bandleader is still going strong at 93 and will no doubt have the crowd swinging when he takes the stage
2. Mother Mother – July 8th : This local band gained attention when one of their singles. O My Heart, was used during the 2010 Olympic Games. For a young act, they’ve become seasoned stage performers, definitely worth a look!
3. Dan Mangan – July 10th : Acclaimed singer-songwriters are pretty common nowadays but Dan Mangan has managed to stand out from the pack.
4. Hannah Georgas – July 9th : Since winning Music BC’s Songbird West Songwriting Contest in 2008, Georgas has gone from the strength to strength, achieving many accolades and awards.
5. Hey Ocean – July 10th : Much buzz has surrounded this local act. An reportedly high energy live show makes this one to check out.
6. Neko Case – July 9th : This multi-talented songstress has been a staple of the Vancouver music scene since leaving Tacoma, WA in the mid 90’s for schooling at Emily Carr Institute of Art & Design. As a member of the New Pornographers as well as solo-artist Neko has more than paid her dues and has the well deserved respect of audiences and other artists all over.
7. Said The Whale – July 9th : As 2011 Juno Awards New Group of the Year, Said The Whale have a lot to live up to but from what I’ve heard and seen previously they’ve well on their way to surpassing expectations.
8. Kids Zone – July 8, 9, 10 : Since this is a family event there’s lots of activities to keep the younger audiences entertained. Kids Zone features workshops on Kite Making, Origami, Puppet Making, Boat Making and Face Painting.
9. Sports Day / Activities – Jul 8, 9, 10 : Starting off with an old fashioned Sports Day, featuring Three-legged, Wheelbarrow and Sack Races, Water-balloon Toss, Bean Bag Toss, the sport zone will have sports activities of all types. Drop-in family soccer, volleyball tournaments, badminton and tennis workshops are also in store. BC Lion’s Football players will be on hand to hold all-ages kicking and throwing workshops.
10. Spirit Of The West – July 10th : No Vancouver event is complete without Spirit Of The West around to make the audience get up and party! For the last 30 years SOTW has been making everyday events into a feel good time.
Summer Live is a free, three-day festival in Stanley Park hosted by the City of Vancouver on July 8, 9 and 10, 2011 to celebrate Vancouver’s 125th anniversary . Activities run daily from 12 noon through 11pm at Brockton Point in Stanley Park