20Aug2010 – 100th Anniversary PNE Parade
Dancing Elvis’, Lumberjacks, SuperDogs, Red Robinson, Giant Inflatables…these are not your typical entries in a Vancouver Parade but this was not just any parade.
In honour of it’s 100th Anniversary, the Fair At The PNE revived a lost summer time tradition…the PNE Parade. Held annually until 1995 the PNE Parade was the kick off to the Fair and highlighted one of the last major events of the season (the Fair runs the last half of August, closing on Labour Day).
Led off by the indomitable Bandleader Dal Richards as Grand Marshall, this 100th Anniversary revival celebrated all the achievements, entertainment and traditions associated with the last 10 decades of the Pacific National Exhibition; including
– Iconic concerts; Elvis in 1957 and The Beatles in 1964, hosted by radio legend Red Robinson.
– Sports; BC Lions & Vancouver Whitecaps at Empire Stadium, Vancouver Canucks at Pacific Coliseum;
– Exhibits: Horse Shows, 4H competitions, Logger Sports, Monster Trucks
– Playland: Carnival Games, Fair Food
– Multiculturalism: Chinese Dragon and Bollywood Dancers
Most of all it seemed like this parade featured memories, you could see and hear from the older members of the audience as they mentioned past events and family trips to the Fair. Also, from the next generations as they visit with their children and form new memories that will last for the next century of The PNE/Playland
What are your favourite memories of the PNE?