What’s on this weekend? What’s NOT on this weekend!?
There’s so much happening, I can’t keep up!
Happening all week long is the Vancouver 2011 North American Outgames ; sports, culture and human rights conference all rolled into one event. Visit the Outgames website for all the activities happening around Vancouver, Whistler, Burnaby and beyond.
In case you haven’t noticed a few rainbow flags around town, it’s also Pride Week in Vancouver. Parties and Parades and Persperation (if we’re lucky to see some sun) will be the order of the day, check out the Vancouver Pride website for details on the multitude of events.
There are a few events that I’m hoping to be able to check out, so maybe I’ll see you at one of the following:
Friday July 29
– The big event to start off the evening is the Caya Davie Street Dance Party powered by Telus ; stroll, strut and shake your thang as Davie Street is closed and transformed into one big party from Burrard to Bute Street.
– DJ Dave Aude is mixing it up at Celebrities Nightclub
– Get out your IronRod and dance to the beats at Open Studios.
– I have a feeling the Four floors of Five-Sixty won’t be the only things stuffed as Bearracuda takes over.
– DJ Adam Dreaddy & Lisa De Lux take The Helm for a Pride Edition of Bounce – Cool beats to bounce to!
Saturday July 30
– At Rogers Arena – grunge icons Soundgarden play with Queens of the Stone Age and Meat Puppets. (funnily the support acts seem quite appropriately names for Pride Weekend!)
– Taking the Bell Pitch at Empire Stadium, LA Galaxy (minus David Beckham) take on Whitecaps FC
– The Closing Party and Ceremony takes over the Plaza Of Nation Outgames Celebration Site for the day, performances by DJ Adam Dreaddy, Diversity Project, Carol Pope, Sugarbeach, Tracey Bell, Kim Kuzma, Dragonette, Ace of Base and more.
– Celebration of Light Fireworks festival begins in English Bay at 1030 as China takes to the sky, followed by Spain on Wednesday Aug 3rd then Canada Saturday Aug 6th
– Make your own fireworks at Five-Sixty’s ultimate Pride Celebration – Rainbow Night aka Slut Puppy with Legendary DJ Frankie Knuckles and drag diva Lady Bunny.
– If hip hop is more your thing get to Pub 340 and the Pride edition of Big Primpin’
Sunday July 31
– the big event of the day is the Pride Parade, 140 parade entries and three quarters of a million people will take over the west end to take in the parade then the Pride Festival at Sunset Beach.
– after the parade head over to Plaza Of Nations for The Anthem Party with performances by DJ Abel (Miami), DJ Eddie Martinez (NYC), Wynter Gordon and Tyrell Witherspoon it’s sure to be a great day
– still looking for more? head east to The Waldorf and SPIT vs BLOW PONY vs YES YES Y’ALL pit the party people of Vancouver against Portland and Toronto to create and epic fest!
– if you still haven’t had enough hit the late night party at Gorg-o-mish for United: Pride with DJ Paulo and DJ Adam Dreaddy
Monday August 1
– find a patio, rest, chill, catch-up and compare notes with friends and sleep