– visit Vanier Park for Bard On The Beach now presenting Taming Of The Shrew, Macbeth, Merry Wives of Windsor and King John.
– head outside every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night this summer visit one of the three night markets in Richmond and Vancouver. Summer Night Market runs until September 16th on Vulcan Way, Richmond Night Market has a new home near Bridgeport Station at River Rock Resort and Chinatown Night Market is at home in downtown Vancouver.
– spend your summer days at one of Vancouver’s great Farmer’s Markets; Main Street on Wednesdays, West End and Trout Lake Markets on Saturdays with Kitsilano Market on Sundays
– at Vancouver Art Gallery : Offsite on West Georgia at the Shangri-la Hotel courtyard, until Sept 16th, is a large scale wooden tableau by Kota Ezawa
– The Vancouver Art Gallery indoors welcomes it’s summer exhibit, Collecting Matise and Modern Masters: The Cone Sisters of Baltimore, highlighting one of the foremost private collections of early European Modernism. Meanwhile Beat Nation showcases the Art, Hip Hop and Aboriginal Culture, and the Gallery’s exhibition Emily Carr and the Theatre of Transcendence continues all summer as does their ‘Next Series of New Artists from the Pacific Rim‘ – Fifth Night by Yang Fudong, a multi-channel video installation. Again, Again, Again is a exhibit of artists using repetitive or serial images taken from the Gallery’s permanent collections, Spiritlands: t/here: Marian Penner Bancroft Selected Photo Works 1975-2000, a photo exhibit by the Vancouver photographer. Through A Glass, Darkly offers diverse perspectives on perception with specific reference to memory and loss.
– see the bright lights at MOV: Museum of Vancouver with their ongoing exhibit Neon Vancouver/Ugly Vancouver & step back to examine the Art Deco Chic – glamour between the wars or just take a look back to summer 2011 to Reading The Riot Boards, a display of 15 of the post-Stanley Cup Final riot messages written on the boards covering broken windows downtown.
– get on your rollerskates for some camp good times at Xanadu at the Arts Club Theatre until August 4th. The Alter Boyz, ‘raise the praise’ at the Revue Stage until September 1st and Buddy:The Buddy Holly Story is rocking and rolling the Stanley Industrial Alliance Stage until August 26th
– dinner and laughter, go together perfectly at The Giggle Dam Theatre with Cabin Fever at Lake Beaver now playing
Thurs July 26th
– Vancouver Canadians wrap up a long home stand against Eugene Emeralds
– Price is Right Live with Jerry Springer moves on to Coquitlam’s Red Robinson Show Theatre at Boulevard Casino
– Fighting Chances Productions’ RENT is raising money for Friends For Life with tonight’s performance at Waterfront Theatre
– Neon Trees are on stage at the Commodore Ballroom
– Steam Whistle Brewing, Georgia Straight & Solidarity Rocks presents the Unsigned Indie Music Series at Biltmore Cabaret
– Chocolate Milk! Vancouver’s classic house and dance night is Thursday nights at Shine
– Thursday nights at Oasis On Davie means 90?s tunes and sexy shadow dancers for Escapade
– it’s Dirty Thursday at Junction Pub
Fri July 27th
– at Ginger 62 it’s Friday Socielle
– the fabulouse Symone glams up Oasis on Davie for some drag, dinner and Dressing On The Side followed this week by the return of DJ Adam Dreaddy’s Fag.Friday in it’s new home.
– this weeks Stereotypes at Celebrities has Lazy Rich & Hershee.
Sat July 28thl
– get out an run with Vancouver Frontrunners’ Pride Run & Walk
– Collective Soul is playing the River Rock Theatre Show Theatre
– Beirut takes to the Orpheum Theatre’s stage
– #BeYouSaturday at Celebrities brings out Cedric Gervais
– Junction Pub welcomes Carlotta Gurl for her Absolut’ly Drag-u-lous Saturday night show
Do you have an event or opening to include in the next What’s on Weekend? Comment or email me to be included On The List!