Lots happening this weekend, hopefully we finally get some summer weather to help the weekend go smoothly
– visit Vanier Park for Bard On The Beach now presenting Taming Of The Shrew, Macbeth and Merry Wives of Windsor.
– it’s officially summer now so time for summer markets, head outside every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night this summer visit one of the three night markets in Richmond and Vancouver. Summer Night Market runs until September 16th on Vulcan Way, Richmond Night Market has a new home near Bridgeport Station at River Rock Resort and Chinatown Night Market is at home in downtown Vancouver.
– spend your summer days at one of Vancouver’s great Farmer’s Markets; Main Street on Wednesdays, West End and Trout Lake Markets on Saturdays with Kitsilano Market on Sundays
– at Vancouver Art Gallery : Offsite on West Georgia at the Shangri-la Hotel courtyard, until Sept 16th, is a large scale wooden tableau by Kota Ezawa
– The Vancouver Art Gallery indoors welcomes it’s summer exhibit, Collecting Matise and Modern Masters: The Cone Sisters of Baltimore, highlighting one of the foremost private collections of early European Modernism. Meanwhile Beat Nation showcases the Art, Hip Hop and Aboriginal Culture, and the Gallery’s exhibition Emily Carr and the Theatre of Transcendence continues all summer as does their ‘Next Series of New Artists from the Pacific Rim‘ – Fifth Night by Yang Fudong, a multi-channel video installation. Again, Again, Again is a exhibit of artists using repetitive or serial images taken from the Gallery’s permanent collections.
– see the bright lights at MOV: Museum of Vancouver with their ongoing exhibit Neon Vancouver/Ugly Vancouver & step back to examine the Art Deco Chic – glamour between the wars or just take a look back to summer 2011 to Reading The Riot Boards, a display of 15 of the post-Stanley Cup Final riot messages written on the boards covering broken windows downtown.
– get on your rollerskates for some camp good times at Xanadu at the Arts Club Theatre until August 4th
– dinner and laughter, go together perfectly at The Giggle Dam Theatre with Cabin Fever at Lake Beaver now playing
Thursday Jul 5
– illScarlet is taking the stage at Venue on Granville Street with guests Louder Than Love
– Thursday nights at Oasis On Davie means 90?s tunes and sexy shadow dancers for Escapade
– it’s Dirty Thursday at Junction Pub
Friday Jul 6
– day one of Summer Playland Festival gets under way with Marianas Trench, Carly Rae Jepsen and Dragonette plus more
– BC Lions take on Hamilton Tiger Cats at BC Place at 7pm
– classic rockers Nazareth take the stage at Boulevard Casino’s Red Robinson Theatre
– House Music DJ & Producer Avicii brings his Levels tour to the Pacific Coliseum
– at Ginger 62 it’s Friday SocielleLocal Love with Harvard Law, Alex Wynn & Sheps
– the fabulouse Symone glams up Oasis on Davie for some drag, dinner and Dressing On The Side followed this week by the return of DJ Adam Dreaddy’s Fag.Friday in it’s new home.
– this weeks Stereotypes at Celebrities is the Avicii afterparty with ‘mystery’ guests.
Saturday Jul 7
– day two of SPF12 brings One Republic, Gym Class Heroes and Danny Fernandes plus others to the stages at Playland
– Vancouver Canadians begin a 3 game homestand against Everett Aquasox at Scotiabank Field at Nat Bailey Stadium
– Japandroids hit the stage at The Biltmore Cabaret, then stay later for the Glory Days Saturdays at Biltmore Cabaret with My Gay Husband, Sincerely Hana and Rico Uno
– Canadian icon, kd lang performs and intimate show at Commodore Ballroom
– hard rock some to Vogue Theatre as Fear Factory, Voivod and many more make a stop on the Shockwaves Festival Tour.
– Junction Pub welcomes Carlotta Gurl for her Absolut’ly Drag-u-lous Saturday night show
Sunday Jul 8
– day three brings the (hopefully) first annual Summer Playland Festival to a close with Cobra Starship, Joe Jonas and Hot Chelle Rae
– kd lang performs the second of two nights at Commodore Ballroom before heading across the water to two nights in Victoria
– wrap up your weekend with some fun at Junction Pub, as Joan-E presents Joan @ the Junc