– mountain biking, music and a whole lot of adrenaline is in order as the final weekend of Crankworx happens in Whistler
– world, classical and jazz music abound as MusicFest Vancouver wraps up its closing weekend all around the city
– visit Vanier Park for Bard On The Beach now presenting Taming Of The Shrew, Macbeth, Merry Wives of Windsor and King John.
– head outside every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night this summer visit one of the three night markets in Richmond and Vancouver. Summer Night Market runs until September 16th on Vulcan Way, Richmond Night Market has a new home near Bridgeport Station at River Rock Resort and Chinatown Night Market is at home in downtown Vancouver.
– spend your summer days at one of Vancouver’s great Farmer’s Markets; Main Street on Wednesdays, West End and Trout Lake Markets on Saturdays with Kitsilano Market on Sundays
– at Vancouver Art Gallery : Offsite on West Georgia at the Shangri-la Hotel courtyard, until Sept 16th, is a large scale wooden tableau by Kota Ezawa
– The Vancouver Art Gallery indoors welcomes it’s summer exhibit, Collecting Matise and Modern Masters: The Cone Sisters of Baltimore, highlighting one of the foremost private collections of early European Modernism. Meanwhile Beat Nation showcases the Art, Hip Hop and Aboriginal Culture, and the Gallery’s exhibition Emily Carr and the Theatre of Transcendence continues all summer as does their ‘Next Series of New Artists from the Pacific Rim‘ – Fifth Night by Yang Fudong, a multi-channel video installation. Again, Again, Again is a exhibit of artists using repetitive or serial images taken from the Gallery’s permanent collections, Spiritlands: t/here: Marian Penner Bancroft Selected Photo Works 1975-2000, a photo exhibit by the Vancouver photographer. Through A Glass, Darkly offers diverse perspectives on perception with specific reference to memory and loss.
– see the bright lights at MOV: Museum of Vancouver with the last week of the exhibit Neon Vancouver/Ugly Vancouver & step back to examine the Art Deco Chic – glamour between the wars or just take a look back to summer 2011 to Reading The Riot Boards, a display of 15 of the post-Stanley Cup Final riot messages written on the boards covering broken windows downtown.
– The Alter Boyz, ‘raise the praise’ at the Arts Club Theatre’s Revue Stage until September 1st and Buddy:The Buddy Holly Story is rocking and rolling the Stanley Industrial Alliance Stage until August 26th
– dinner and laughter, go together perfectly at The Giggle Dam Theatre with Cabin Fever at Lake Beaver now playing
Thursday Aug 16
– Vancouver Canadians take on Everett Aquasox on the first of a three game homestand at Nat Bailey
– Italian singer-songwriter/rapper Jovanotti is on the Commodore Ballroom stage
– Polica plus guests take on the Biltmore Cabaret
– DJ/Producer Gareth Emery is spinning at Caprice
– – Chocolate Milk! Vancouver’s classic house and dance night is Thursday nights at Shine
– Thursday nights at Oasis On Davie means 90?s tunes and sexy shadow dancers for Escapade
– it’s Dirty Thursday at Junction Pub
Friday Aug 17th
– it’s sold out but if you can get a ticket, The Beat Beach Ball looks to be a great time as K’naan, Shawn Desman, Raghav, Dirty Radio and Stef Lang hit the Commodore Ballroom.
– pop duo Teengirl Fantasy hit the Waldorf Hotel with Gatekeeper and Thunderhorse
– Portland’s mini orchestra Pink Martini are onstage at Orpheum Theatre as part of MusicFest
– Wymond Miles is at Biltmore Cabaret
– Socielle Local Love at Ginger 62 has DJ’s Harvard Law and Christian Alvarez
– Celebrities’ Stereotypes Friday has Lucky Date + Dank
Saturday Aug 18th
– the century old summertime tradition kicks off again as The Fair at the PNE gets underway.
– kicking off a great line-up of entertainment at the PNE on the WestJet Family Fun series of afternoon shows is the PNE Star Showdown amateur competition.
– in the evenings the PNE Summer Nights Concert Series gets underway with the legendary ladies of Heart
– Junction Pub welcomes Carlotta Gurl for her Absolut’ly Drag-u-lous Saturday night show
Do you have an event or opening to include in the next What’s on Weekend? Comment or email me to be included On The List!