– visit Vanier Park for Bard On The Beach now presenting Taming Of The Shrew and Macbeth.
– it’s officially summer now so time for summer markets, head outside every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night this summer visit one of the three night markets in Richmond and Vancouver. Summer Night Market runs until September 16th on Vulcan Way, Richmond Night Market has a new home near Bridgeport Station at River Rock Resort and Chinatown Night Market is at home in downtown Vancouver.
– spend your summer days at one of Vancouver’s great Farmer’s Markets; Main Street on Wednesdays, West End and Trout Lake Markets on Saturdays with Kitsilano Market on Sundays
– at Vancouver Art Gallery : Offsite on West Georgia at the Shangri-la Hotel courtyard, until Sept 16th, is a large scale wooden tableau by Kota Ezawa
– The Vancouver Art Gallery indoors welcomes it’s summer exhibit, Collecting Matise and Modern Masters: The Cone Sisters of Baltimore, highlighting one of the foremost private collections of early European Modernism. Meanwhile Beat Nation showcases the Art, Hip Hop and Aboriginal Culture, and the Gallery’s exhibition Emily Carr and the Theatre of Transcendence continues all summer as does their ‘Next Series of New Artists from the Pacific Rim‘ – Fifth Night by Yang Fudong, a multi-channel video installation. Again, Again, Again is a exhibit of artists using repetitive or serial images taken from the Gallery’s permanent collections.
– it’s the final weekend to get your giggles at the Giggle Dam Theatre, dinner/comedy/musical theatre, as they present Under The DAM Big Top…Cirque Du So Lame
– see the bright lights at MOV: Museum of Vancouver with their ongoing exhibit Neon Vancouver/Ugly Vancouver & step back to examine the Art Deco Chic – glamour between the wars or just take a look back one year to Reading The Riot Boards, a display of 15 of the post-Stanley Cup Final riot messages written on the boards covering broken windows downtown.
– at Arts Club Theatre Company’s Stanley Industrial Alliance Stage has the swelegant, elegant High Society , on until June 24th.
Thursday June 21st:
– Vancouver Canadians baseball are on day two of a 5 game homestand against Tri-City’s Dust Devils
– Gastown and Yaletown come alive as Make Music Vancouver fills the neighbourhoods with free, fun concerts
– get on your rollerskates and head to the Arts Club Theatre for some camp good times at Xanadu
– River Rock Show Theatre is home of New Edition’s 30th Anniversary Reunion Tour (doesn’t that make you feel old!?)
-cult classic flick Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! hosted by Ryan Steele & Amy Gee is on screen at Rio Theatre
– Waldorf Hotel has The Coathangers, Pleasure Cruise and Dead Ghosts performing
– Thursday nights at Oasis On Davie brings out the 90’s tunes and sexy shadow dancers for Escapade
– it’s Dirty Thursday at Junction Pub
– #FFWDWKND Thursdays at L.E.D. Bar brings Pierce Fulton to the decks
Friday June 22nd:
– Vancouver International Jazz Festival gets under way bringing a far wider variety of music than the title would suggest, with ten days of music at over a dozen venues around the city, many of them free.
– Sealed With A Kiss Presents brings The Mountain Goats to The Rio Theatre’s stage
– SWAK Presents also has Russian Circles on stage at The Biltmore Cabaret
– at Ginger 62 it’s Friday Socielle with Classix and Intimate
– the fabulouse Symone glams up Oasis on Davie for some drag, dinner and Dressing On The Side
– this weeks Stereotypes at Celebrities features a Digitalism DJ set
Saturday June 23rd:
– do some shopping, raise some cash for Vancouver Friends For Life at their 3rd Annual Yard Sale from 10 – 4 at The Diamond Centre for Living 1459 Barclay Street
– funny man Russell Peters entertains the masses at Rogers Arena
– remixers Nervo and DJ Deniz Koyu take on the crowd at Celebrities
– TFD + PONI at Five-Sixty join forces to present Sharon Needles: every night is halloween ball