Happy Canada Day! I hope everyone enjoys their long weekend!
– Vancouver International Jazz Festival , continues through the weekend with more music at over a dozen venues around the city, many of them free.
– visit Vanier Park for Bard On The Beach now presenting Taming Of The Shrew and Macbeth.
– it’s officially summer now so time for summer markets, head outside every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night this summer visit one of the three night markets in Richmond and Vancouver. Summer Night Market runs until September 16th on Vulcan Way, Richmond Night Market has a new home near Bridgeport Station at River Rock Resort and Chinatown Night Market is at home in downtown Vancouver.
– spend your summer days at one of Vancouver’s great Farmer’s Markets; Main Street on Wednesdays, West End and Trout Lake Markets on Saturdays with Kitsilano Market on Sundays
– at Vancouver Art Gallery : Offsite on West Georgia at the Shangri-la Hotel courtyard, until Sept 16th, is a large scale wooden tableau by Kota Ezawa
– The Vancouver Art Gallery indoors welcomes it’s summer exhibit, Collecting Matise and Modern Masters: The Cone Sisters of Baltimore, highlighting one of the foremost private collections of early European Modernism. Meanwhile Beat Nation showcases the Art, Hip Hop and Aboriginal Culture, and the Gallery’s exhibition Emily Carr and the Theatre of Transcendence continues all summer as does their ‘Next Series of New Artists from the Pacific Rim‘ – Fifth Night by Yang Fudong, a multi-channel video installation. Again, Again, Again is a exhibit of artists using repetitive or serial images taken from the Gallery’s permanent collections.
– see the bright lights at MOV: Museum of Vancouver with their ongoing exhibit Neon Vancouver/Ugly Vancouver & step back to examine the Art Deco Chic – glamour between the wars or just take a look back one year to Reading The Riot Boards, a display of 15 of the post-Stanley Cup Final riot messages written on the boards covering broken windows downtown.
– get on your rollerskates for some camp good times at Xanadu at the Arts Club Theatre until August 4th
Thursday June 28th
– it’s opening night as Bard On The Beach adds The Merry Wives Of Windsor
– the Commodore Ballroom welcomes Steel Panther for some rocking good times
– Young Empires hit the stage at The Biltmore Cabaret
– Thursday nights at Oasis On Davie means 90?s tunes and sexy shadow dancers for Escapade
– it’s Dirty Thursday at Junction Pub
– #FFWDWKND Thursdays at L.E.D. Bar features DJ Timeline, Aki Nair and NDVR
Friday June 29th
– Grey Cup Champions BC Lions kick off their 2012 season against Winnipeg at BC Place
– more antics from Steel Panther as they warm up the Commodore stage again.
– experience the Bass Drum Of Death at Biltmore Cabaret
– at Ginger 62 it’s Friday Socielle Local Love with DJ Yurie & Christian Alvarez
– the fabulouse Symone glams up Oasis on Davie for some drag, dinner and Dressing On The Side
– this weeks Stereotypes at Celebrities features Richie Hawtin
Saturday June 30th
– the 30th Anniversary of the Vancouver Peace Walk takes place, starting at Kits Beach at noon
– dinner and laughter, what could be better? Head to The Giggle Dam Theatre for the opening of Cabin Fever at Lake Beaver
– relive the glorious past of Queen with Queen Extravaganza, a Queen tribute band at The Orpheum
– PONI at Five-Sixty welcomes back Chris Cox to the decks
– Junction Pub welcomes Carlotta Gurl for her Absolut’ly Drag-u-lous Saturday night show
– live the Glory Days Saturdays at Biltmore Cabaret with My Gay Husband, Sincerely Hana and Rico Uno
Do you have an event or opening to include in the next What’s on Weekend? Comment or email me to be included On The List!