Where has the time gone? It’s already June!
– at Vancouver Art Gallery : Offsite on West Georgia at the Shangri-la Hotel courtyard, until Sept 16th, is a large scale wooden tableau by Kota Ezawa
– The Vancouver Art Gallery indoors welcomes it’s summer exhibit, Collecting Matise and Modern Masters: The Cone Sisters of Baltimore, highlighting one of the foremost private collections of early European Modernism. Meanwhile Beat Nation showcases the Art, Hip Hop and Aboriginal Culture, and the Gallery’s exhibition Emily Carr and the Theatre of Transcendence continues all summer as does their ‘Next Series of New Artists from the Pacific Rim‘ – Fifth Night by Yang Fudong, a multi-channel video installation. Again, Again, Again is a exhibit of artists using repetitive or serial images taken from the Gallery’s permanent collections.
– still running at the Giggle Dam Theatre, dinner/comedy/musical theatre, keeps them laughing with Under The DAM Big Top…Cirque Du So Lame
– see the bright lights at MOV: Museum of Vancouver with their ongoing exhibit Neon Vancouver/Ugly Vancouver & step back to examine the Art Deco Chic – glamour between the wars
– at Arts Club Theatre Company’s Stanley Industrial Alliance Stage has the swelegant, elegant High Society , on until June 24th.
– Every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night this summer visit one of the three night markets in Richmond and Vancouver. Summer Night Market runs until September 16th on Vulcan Way, Richmond Night Market has a new home near Bridgeport Station at River Rock Resort and Chinatown Night Market has its home downtown Vancouver.
Thursday May 31st
– the 2012 season of Bard On The Beach takes off at Vanier Park with Taming Of The Shrew
– continuing until Sunday June 3rd, Vancouver International Children’s Festival brings family fun to Granville Island
– Syrian musician Omar Souleyman is at Biltmore Cabaret
– Rio Theatre features laughs with Jason Rouse on the first of a two night stand.
– #FFWDWKND at L.E.D. Bar at Caprice features DJs Johnny Lover, Christian Alvarez and J.P. Valde$
– another Thursday another night of dancers getting their JUNK out at Oasis On Davie
– it’s Dirty Thursday at Junction Pub
Friday June 1st
– The Vogue Theatre presents Arkells with The Maine
– reality TV stars Nick and Sophie Tweed-Simmons are on stage performing classic blues and jazz standards at River Rock Show Theatre
– Broadway icon and Glee Alumni, Idina Menzel takes to the stage at The Centre For Performing Arts In Vancouver
– LA’s Dillon Francis is at Stereoptype at Celebrities Nightclub
– Socielle at Ginger 62 brings in Stefano Noferini this week
Saturday June 2nd
– Haligonian’s Wintersleep are across the water in Victoria performing at Philips Brewery
– the annual fundraising Vegas-Style drag show ‘Fit For A Queen‘ is at River Rock Show Theatre
– PONI at Five-Sixty presents NYC uber-DJ / Producer Hector Fonseca
Do you have an event or opening to include in the next What’s on Weekend? Comment or email me to be included On The List!