Here’s my picks of the week!
– there’s still a week to go on Dancap Productions’s Broadway’s Jersey Boys to the Queen Elizabeth Theatre until Sep 23rd
– visit Vanier Park for Bard On The Beach now presenting Taming Of The Shrew, Macbeth, Merry Wives of Windsor and King John.
– head outside every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night this summer visit one of the three night markets in Richmond and Vancouver. Summer Night Market runs until September 16th on Vulcan Way, Richmond Night Market has a new home near Bridgeport Station at River Rock Resort and Chinatown Night Market is at home in downtown Vancouver.
– spend your summer days at one of Vancouver’s great Farmer’s Markets; Main Street on Wednesdays, West End and Trout Lake Markets on Saturdays with Kitsilano Market on Sundays
– at Vancouver Art Gallery : Offsite on West Georgia at the Shangri-la Hotel courtyard, until Sept 16th, is a large scale wooden tableau by Kota Ezawa
– The Vancouver Art Gallery indoors welcomes it’s summer exhibit, Collecting Matise and Modern Masters: The Cone Sisters of Baltimore, highlighting one of the foremost private collections of early European Modernism. Meanwhile the Gallery’s exhibition Emily Carr and the Theatre of Transcendence continues all summer as does their ‘Next Series of New Artists from the Pacific Rim‘ – Fifth Night by Yang Fudong, a multi-channel video installation. Spiritlands: t/here: Marian Penner Bancroft Selected Photo Works 1975-2000, a photo exhibit by the Vancouver photographer. Through A Glass, Darkly offers diverse perspectives on perception with specific reference to memory and loss.
– see the bright lights at MOV: Museum of Vancouver with the permenant exhibit Neon Vancouver/Ugly Vancouver & step back to examine the Art Deco Chic – glamour between the wars or just take a look back to summer 2011 to Reading The Riot Boards, a display of 15 of the post-Stanley Cup Final riot messages written on the boards covering broken windows downtown.
– The Arts Club Theatre’s 2012-2013 season begins with Clybourne Park at Stanley Industrial Alliance Stage
– dinner and laughter, go together perfectly at The Giggle Dam Theatre with Cabin Fever at Lake Beaver now playing
Thursday Sept 13
– over in Victoria, Rifflandia Festival gets underway with a weekend of great music
– At the Waldorf, The Aggrolites take the stage
– Chixdiggit at Venue
– The Crackling, Corbin Murdoch and The Nautical are at The Rickshaw Theatre
– UK’s Andy Moor spins the night at Caprice
– Thursday nights at Oasis On Davie means 90s tunes and sexy shadow dancers for Escapade
– it’s Dirty Thursday at Junction Pub
Friday Sept 14
– it’s time for another East Van Social Club at the Biltmore
– East Coast legends Sloan is at the Commodore Ballroom
– Kool Keith and guests are at The Rickshaw
– The Antlers are at Venue
– outside at Malkin Bowl, Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes perform with Clap Your Hands Say Yeah!
– Celebrities’ Stereotypes Friday has Dirty Loud and Popeska
– Oasis Ultra Lounge has Symone’s Dressing on The Side followed by DJ Adam Dreaddy’s #Ff
Saturday Sept 15
– BC Lions take on Toronto Argonauts at BC Place
– listen to some amazing music and support at great cause with Sarah McLachlan’s Voices In The Park concert
– F*cked Up play an early show at Fortune Sound Club
– the Queen of Bounce, Big Freedia is bringing the funk to The Richshaw Theatre
– Hot Chip play the first of two nights at The Commodore Ballroom
– Junction Pub welcomes Carlotta Gurl for her Absolut’ly Drag-u-lous Saturday night show
– Oasis is peachy keen with Peaches and DJs Kasha Kennedy & Kasey Riot