It’s back to school week and let’s see what’s happening
– visit Vanier Park for Bard On The Beach now presenting Taming Of The Shrew, Macbeth, Merry Wives of Windsor and King John.
– head outside every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night this summer visit one of the three night markets in Richmond and Vancouver. Summer Night Market runs until September 16th on Vulcan Way, Richmond Night Market has a new home near Bridgeport Station at River Rock Resort and Chinatown Night Market is at home in downtown Vancouver.
– spend your summer days at one of Vancouver’s great Farmer’s Markets; Main Street on Wednesdays, West End and Trout Lake Markets on Saturdays with Kitsilano Market on Sundays
– at Vancouver Art Gallery : Offsite on West Georgia at the Shangri-la Hotel courtyard, until Sept 16th, is a large scale wooden tableau by Kota Ezawa
– The Vancouver Art Gallery indoors welcomes it’s summer exhibit, Collecting Matise and Modern Masters: The Cone Sisters of Baltimore, highlighting one of the foremost private collections of early European Modernism. Meanwhile the Gallery’s exhibition Emily Carr and the Theatre of Transcendence continues all summer as does their ‘Next Series of New Artists from the Pacific Rim‘ – Fifth Night by Yang Fudong, a multi-channel video installation. Again, Again, Again is a exhibit of artists using repetitive or serial images taken from the Gallery’s permanent collections, Spiritlands: t/here: Marian Penner Bancroft Selected Photo Works 1975-2000, a photo exhibit by the Vancouver photographer. Through A Glass, Darkly offers diverse perspectives on perception with specific reference to memory and loss.
– see the bright lights at MOV: Museum of Vancouver with the permenant exhibit Neon Vancouver/Ugly Vancouver & step back to examine the Art Deco Chic – glamour between the wars or just take a look back to summer 2011 to Reading The Riot Boards, a display of 15 of the post-Stanley Cup Final riot messages written on the boards covering broken windows downtown.
– The Arts Club Theatre’s 2012-2013 season begins with Clybourne Park at Stanley Industrial Alliance Stage
– dinner and laughter, go together perfectly at The Giggle Dam Theatre with Cabin Fever at Lake Beaver now playing
Thursday Sep 6th
– on day 2 of a two week run Dancap Productions brings Broadway’s Jersey Boys to the Queen Elizabeth Theatre until Sep 23rd
– Vancouver’s Fashionistas and fashion fans can join cities across the world and participate in a night of events, sales and shopping on Fashion’s Night Out
– The Hives cross the globe from Sweden to the Commodore Ballroom
– Swans take the stage at Venue with Xiu Xiu
– Across town the Waldorf has Kishi Bashi with guests The Last Baron
– Thursday nights at Oasis On Davie means 90?s tunes and sexy shadow dancers for Escapade
– first Thursday of the month means Latin Night at Junction Pub
Friday Sep 7th
– get your laughs on as Jerry Seinfeld stands-up at the Orpheum Theatre for three shows, tonight and tomorrow.
– Girl Talk is at the Commodore Ballroom
– icon Joe Walsh is on at the Red Robinson Theatre at Boulevard Casino
– Celebrities’ Stereotypes Friday has DJ and remixer extraordinaire Morgan Page
– Oasis Ultra Lounge has Symone’s Dressing on The Side followed by DJ Adam Dreaddy’s #Ff
– Socielle Friday at Ginger 62 this week has Those Twins plus Seta
– Sneaky Sound System are live at Five-Sixty
Saturday Sep 8th
– BC Lions play return host to Montreal Alouettes on the return leg last weeks loss in Montreal.
– the long running male revue Chippendales is at River Rock Casino’s Show Theatre
– Chelsea Wolfe + Crypts are at Biltmore Cabaret
– B You Saturday at Celebrities presents Max Vangelli
– Junction Pub welcomes Carlotta Gurl for her Absolut’ly Drag-u-lous Saturday night show
– Oasis is peachy keen with Peaches and DJs Kasha Kennedy & Kasey Riot
– Hustla celebrates the night’s first anniversary at Cobalt