Lots of summer still left in the tank, time to take advantage of , head out and check out some of these events this weekend!
Thursday Aug 18
– Vancouver Queer Film Festival continues with the Centrepiece Gala , after watching “Grown Up Movie Star” head to The Helm for an evening of fun. If you don’t want to party it’s your last chance to catch “Judas Kiss“, which made its international premier early in the festival. VQFF continues until Sunday.
Friday Aug 19
– Mr Heavenly (featuring members Modest Mouse, ManMan, Islands & Unicorns) are on stage at The Biltmore Cabaret
– Girl from Oz, Sia brings her pop/jazz stylings to the Commodore Ballroom
– at Lulu’s Lounge at the River Rock Resort it’s The Tabloids, covering all your fave UK hits, playing the first of a two night stand.
Saturday Aug 20
– it’s a sure sign of summer coming close to an end as the 101st edition of the PNE opens, included with the gates entry are some great nightly concerts including Chris Isaak, Serena Ryder, Kenny Rogers, Donny Osmond and more.
– a new summer tradition kicks off it’s second year today as well. In a beautiful setting, Live at Squamish Music Festival presented by Virgin Mobile features Weezer, Metric, Black Mountain, John Butler Trio and many more acts over the
two day fest.
– Grad your honey and head down to Canada Place and get your smooch on! Look in the comments section for details about the Kissing Flash Mob aka Smooch Mob set for noon sharp! Sounds like fun!
Sunday Aug 21
– it’s time for another edition of Big Gay Rodeo at Bourbon Country Bar, Bull Riding, Pork & Bean Wrestling, Meat Pie Eating…it’s all here plus raising some cash for Friends For Life, HIM (Health Initiative for Men) QMUNITY, and Keep a Breast Canada
– it’s closing night of Mamma Mia at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre in Vancouver, if you haven’t already this is your last chance to see this fun musical comedy based on the music of Abba
2 thoughts on “What’s on Weekends – August 18-21, 2011”
Don’t forget about Smooch Mob at Canada Place, happening this Saturday!
As part of the Downtown Vancouver BIA’s Summer Love Social Media Campaign, Saturday August 20 we’re inviting people to pucker up for a spontaneous expression of love at Vancouver’s first Kissing Flash Mob/Smooch Mob!
Against the scenic backdrop of the North Shore Mountains, Stanley Park, and the Burrard Inlet, Smoochers will gather on the north pier at Canada Place (by the information booth) before noon to enjoy the scenery and act like it’s any other Saturday. At 12:00pm sharp, Canada Place’s Heritage Horns will play the first four notes of O Canada, signalling the start of a minute-long kiss.
After the kiss we’ll hand out complimentary lip-shaped chocolates from Mink® a chocolate café and a rose from Vivio Flower Gallery, while supplies last. One lucky couple from the crowd will be chosen at random to receive a couple’s massage package courtesy of the Fairmont Pacific Rim.
Professional Photographer Jeremy Lim will also be on-site to take complimentary keepsake photos of couples, which will be available for download from Canada Place’s Facebook page .
This event is part of a month-long series of romance, promotions and giveaways hosted by the Downtown Vancouver BIA and partner businesses. We’re passionate about sharing the love in Vancouver, and hope you are too!
Sounds like a fun event! Thanks for letting us know about this!