Back to school doesn’t mean back to boredom, not yet at least. Still lots happening this weekend once you get out of the sun!
Thursday Sept 8
– The Antlers with Avi Buffalo, who are brilliant, are playing at Venue
– Cali-band Sleepy Sun is at The Biltmore Cabaret
– some classic punk in the shape of NOMEANSNO are across the water at Club 9One9 in Victoria
– Vancouver International Fringe Festival kicks off BC Largest Theatre Festival, on until Sept 18th
Friday Sept 9
– trashy but talented Ke$ha brings her “Get Sleazy Tour” to Rogers Arena with opening act LMFAO, should be a fun show.
– the opposite of trashy but just as flashy in her day, the legendary Mitzi Gaynor is at River Rock Show Theatre.
– At The Biltmore Cabaret it’s The East Van Soul Club
– What happens when Zelda met Mario? Find out at 8-bit Spit. SPIT Vancouver returns to ANZA Club.
Saturday Sept 10
– head downtown and check out Davie Day Street Festival, Davie Street is closed from Burrard to Broughton for entertainment, arts, crafts, food and fun. Perfomers include Kim Kuzma, Gina Williams and Bruce James Orchestra
– While you’re on Davie watch for “It Takes A Village” posters and donation jars all along the street as the local merchants band together to help the Oxfam Canada’s East Africa Drought Relief Fund who will be matching the funds raised dollar for dollar.
– up in Whistler at the Celebration Plaza, local icons 54-50 take the stage.
– country pop princess Taylor Swift is at Rogers Arena for the first of two sold out nights.
– comedian Norm MacDonald is at River Rock Show Theatre