Yesterday, The Cultch announced the next half of its 2021/2022 in-person programming. After a successful, mostly digital fall lineup, and East Van Panto, on-stage now, a full roster of in-person shows in coming to finish the season.
As The Cultch welcomes back live audiences, they remain as committed to exploring digital works, stay tuned this January for announcements about the digital series and new digital platform RE/PLAY, The Cultch’s digital playground.
The 2022 Winter/Spring season starts in February with Alanna Mitchell’s critically acclaimed production Sea Sick, based on the book of the same name about climate change and the state of our oceans. This show also kicks off The Cultch’s Femme Festival, including six works from local, international, and Canadian creators, running through to March.
Other local shows in the season are Savage Society’s Little Red Warrior and His Lawyer, by award-winning playwright Kevin Loring, Vancouver Asian Canadian Theatre’s Bad Parent, a new play from Ins Choi, creator of the hit sitcom and play Kim’s Convenience, and Theatre Conspiracy’s Himmat, a world premiere co-presented with South Asian Arts, and directed by Paneet Singh.
Adding to these local productions, spring finds the York Theatre full of music with Catalyst Theatre’s (Edmonton) The Invisible: Agents of Ungentlemanly Warfare, a hit musical that tells the story of female special operations executives during WWII. And, for the first time, The Cultch partners with Vancouver International Dance Festival to present the 2020 GRAND PRIX de la danse de Montréal award-winning BOW’T TRAIL RETROSPEK, from Rhodnie Désir’s RD Créations (Montreal).
2022 In Person Lineup includes:
- Sea Sick (The Theatre Centre) February 2-19 @ Historic Theatre
- RAVEN (still hungry | Chamäleon Berlin) February 8-13 @ York Theatre
- Beautiful Man (Pi Theatre) February 24-Mar 5 @ Historic Theatre
- In Response to Alabama (Little Thief Theatre) March 3-12 @ Vancity Culture Lab
- Little Red Warrior and His Lawyer (Savage Society) March 3-13 @ York Theatre
- Clean/Espejos (Neworld Theatre) March 10-19 @ Historic Theatre
- Bunny (The Search Party) March 17-27 @ Vancity Culture Lab
- BOW’T TRAIL RETROSPEK (RD Créations) March 23-26 @ Historic Theatre
- Bad Parent (Vancouver Asian Canadian Theatre) April 20-May 1 @ Historic Theatre
- The Invisible (Catalyst Theatre) April 26-May 7, 2022 @ York Theatre
- Himmat (Theatre Conspiracy) May 6-15, 2022 @ Historic Theatre
With 11 shows scheduled for The Cultch’s three theatres from February and May, audiences can look forward to filling their spring with in-person performances once again. Subscriptions and singles tickets for the 2022 Winter/Spring Season are on sale now, by calling The Cultch’s Box Office at 604-251-1363 or online at thecultch.com