– visit Vanier Park for Bard On The Beach now presenting Taming Of The Shrew, Macbeth, Merry Wives of Windsor and King John.
– head outside every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night this summer visit one of the three night markets in Richmond and Vancouver. Summer Night Market runs until September 16th on Vulcan Way, Richmond Night Market has a new home near Bridgeport Station at River Rock Resort and Chinatown Night Market is at home in downtown Vancouver.
– spend your summer days at one of Vancouver’s great Farmer’s Markets; Main Street on Wednesdays, West End and Trout Lake Markets on Saturdays with Kitsilano Market on Sundays
– at Vancouver Art Gallery : Offsite on West Georgia at the Shangri-la Hotel courtyard, until Sept 16th, is a large scale wooden tableau by Kota Ezawa
– The Vancouver Art Gallery indoors welcomes it’s summer exhibit, Collecting Matise and Modern Masters: The Cone Sisters of Baltimore, highlighting one of the foremost private collections of early European Modernism. Meanwhile Beat Nation showcases the Art, Hip Hop and Aboriginal Culture, and the Gallery’s exhibition Emily Carr and the Theatre of Transcendence continues all summer as does their ‘Next Series of New Artists from the Pacific Rim‘ – Fifth Night by Yang Fudong, a multi-channel video installation. Again, Again, Again is a exhibit of artists using repetitive or serial images taken from the Gallery’s permanent collections, Spiritlands: t/here: Marian Penner Bancroft Selected Photo Works 1975-2000, a photo exhibit by the Vancouver photographer. Through A Glass, Darkly offers diverse perspectives on perception with specific reference to memory and loss.
– see the bright lights at MOV: Museum of Vancouver with the last week of the exhibit Neon Vancouver/Ugly Vancouver & step back to examine the Art Deco Chic – glamour between the wars or just take a look back to summer 2011 to Reading The Riot Boards, a display of 15 of the post-Stanley Cup Final riot messages written on the boards covering broken windows downtown.
– The Alter Boyz, ‘raise the praise’ at the Arts Club Theatre’s Revue Stage until September 1st and Buddy:The Buddy Holly Story is rocking and rolling the Stanley Industrial Alliance Stage until August 26th
– dinner and laughter, go together perfectly at The Giggle Dam Theatre with Cabin Fever at Lake Beaver now playing
Thursday Aug 9th
– Dead Can Dance are at the Orpheum Theatre
– The ‘ska-mazing’ English Beat are at Rickshaw Theatre with Los Furios
– The Rocking River Music Fest starts 3 days of music for country fans featuring headliners like; Aaron Pritchett, Dwight Yoakam, Randy Bachman, Blue Rodeo and George Canyon
– the final weekend of Harmony Arts Festival in West Vancouver brings arts, crafts and music to the North Shore
– pop over to Biltmore Cabaret for Ping Pong Club Night
– Chocolate Milk! Vancouver’s classic house and dance night is Thursday nights at Shine
– Thursday nights at Oasis On Davie means 90?s tunes and sexy shadow dancers for Escapade
– it’s Dirty Thursday at Junction Pub
Friday Aug 10th
– the legendary Bonnie Raitt is on the Queen Elizabeth Theatre stage
– Whoopi Goldberg brings the laughter to River Rock Show Theatre
– it’s friday Socielle at Ginger 62 with Pleasurekraft and Tyler Johnson
– the fabulouse Symone glams up Oasis on Davie for some drag, dinner and Dressing On The Side followed this week by DJ Adam Dreaddy’s Fag.Friday
– The hilarious Ryan & Amy how laughs it up at Five-Sixty for two nights benefiting Canadian Cancer Society
– this weeks Stereotypes at Celebrities it’s Funkagenda
– East Van Social Club is at Biltmore Cabaret
Saturday Aug 11th
– Burnaby Blues and Roots Fest at Deer Lake Park is a full day of music with Indigo Girls, Jimmie Vaughn and Meshell Ndegeocello
– the Lululemon SeaWheeze Marathon is a new race around the Vancouver Seawall wrapping up with a free concert with Hey Ocean! at Jack Poole Plaza
– Vancouver Canadians start a 5 game home stand against Yakima Bears
– Whoopi Goldberg moves the laughs over to the Red Robinson Theatre in Boulevard Casino