– visit Vanier Park for Bard On The Beach now presenting Taming Of The Shrew, Macbeth, Merry Wives of Windsor and King John.
– head outside every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night this summer visit one of the three night markets in Richmond and Vancouver. Summer Night Market runs until September 16th on Vulcan Way, Richmond Night Market has a new home near Bridgeport Station at River Rock Resort and Chinatown Night Market is at home in downtown Vancouver.
– spend your summer days at one of Vancouver’s great Farmer’s Markets; Main Street on Wednesdays, West End and Trout Lake Markets on Saturdays with Kitsilano Market on Sundays
– at Vancouver Art Gallery : Offsite on West Georgia at the Shangri-la Hotel courtyard, until Sept 16th, is a large scale wooden tableau by Kota Ezawa
– The Vancouver Art Gallery indoors welcomes it’s summer exhibit, Collecting Matise and Modern Masters: The Cone Sisters of Baltimore, highlighting one of the foremost private collections of early European Modernism. Meanwhile the Gallery’s exhibition Emily Carr and the Theatre of Transcendence continues all summer as does their ‘Next Series of New Artists from the Pacific Rim‘ – Fifth Night by Yang Fudong, a multi-channel video installation. Again, Again, Again is a exhibit of artists using repetitive or serial images taken from the Gallery’s permanent collections, Spiritlands: t/here: Marian Penner Bancroft Selected Photo Works 1975-2000, a photo exhibit by the Vancouver photographer. Through A Glass, Darkly offers diverse perspectives on perception with specific reference to memory and loss.
– see the bright lights at MOV: Museum of Vancouver with the last week of the exhibit Neon Vancouver/Ugly Vancouver & step back to examine the Art Deco Chic – glamour between the wars or just take a look back to summer 2011 to Reading The Riot Boards, a display of 15 of the post-Stanley Cup Final riot messages written on the boards covering broken windows downtown.
– The Alter Boyz, ‘raise the praise’ at the Arts Club Theatre’s Revue Stage until September 1st and Buddy:The Buddy Holly Story is rocking and rolling the Stanley Industrial Alliance Stage until August 26th
– dinner and laughter, go together perfectly at The Giggle Dam Theatre with Cabin Fever at Lake Beaver now playing
Thursday Aug 23
– Vancouver Canadians are home at Nat Bailey for a weekend of baseball against Boise Hawks
– rock out at Venue with Winger (yes, that Winger) and guests Kick Axe
– L.E.D Bar #FFWDWKND has No_ID performing but don’t forget your ID.
– PNE Summer Night Concerts welcome Our Lady Peace to the stage
– Thursday nights at Oasis On Davie means 90’s tunes and sexy shadow dancers for Escapade
– it’s Dirty Thursday at Junction Pub
Friday Aug 24
– pack your gear and head up the Sea To Sky and get ready for Live At Squamish music festival getting underway for three great days of music in a beautiful setting.
– Rock icons Metallica will look to raise the roof at Rogers Arena for the first of two nights
– 80’s pop star Rick Springfield looks for Jessie’s Girl at the PNE
– Socielle Local Love at Ginger 62 has Zak Santiago and Meesh
– Celebrities’ Stereotypes Friday has Adventure Club
– Oasis Ultra Lounge has Symone’s Dressing on The Side followed by DJ Adam Dreaddy’s Fag Friday
Saturday Aug 25
– Himilayan Bear + Bankrobber are at Biltmore Cabaret
– Metallica rock Rogers Arena for the second night
– fantastic singer-songwriters Colbie Caillat and Gaving Degraw play together at the Summer Night Concert at PNE
– Junction Pub welcomes Carlotta Gurl for her Absolut’ly Drag-u-lous Saturday night show
– BYOU Saturday at Celebrities welcomes Sultan and Ned Shepard
– Oasis is peachy keen with Peaches and DJs Kasha Kennedy & Kasey Riot
Do you have an event or opening to include in the next What’s on Weekend? Comment or email me to be included On The List!